Friday, September 24, 2010

"Why am I doing this? Why am I shapeshifting in front of this man? And the answer is, of course, because he is handsome and perfect, and I feel I am neither."
-Augusten Burroughs

So often I put up this front for people, not because I want to feel superior to them, but because I want to feel equal to them. I see people who serve humbly, speak eloquently, and work diligently and I put on this show to convince myself that I am worth their attention and affection. I look to these people, silently asking them to affirm my worth because they seem so worthwhile themselves. I ignore the fact that I can only find meaning and purpose from the one who gave me life. I ignore a God who is screaming, "Of course you're beautiful; I MADE YOU." Instead, I recreate myself over and over to shut out my own tiny voice whispering, "I'm not enough." Well I'm done seeking answers from a confused world. I'm done looking for sanity in senselessness. I'm through seeking worth from the hollow. I'm done searching for anything but You.

No comments: