Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"The Little Prince" -Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Chapter 5)


In chapter five of Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s book “The Little Prince,” the pilot is warned by the prince about the dangers of baobab trees. He explains that the baobabs start as invisible seeds that begin to grow. But because they grow up to be rather large trees, one must pull them up as soon as he/she detects it. If they aren’t taken care of while they are small, they are nearly impossible to get rid of and they will tear a planet to pieces. Lies are baobabs. Lies are nasty things that often disguise themselves as truths. Lies keep talking until you believe, until you give them roots. Idols, like lies, are baobabs. Idols distract you with beauty and promises. But idols are terrible baobabs whose only desire is to tear apart your whole planet. The only way to get rid of these dangerous trees is careful gardening. If I am being completely honest with myself, I haven’t always tended the garden as I should. I’ve let baobabs get out of control. I’ve given roots to self-doubt. I’ve kept things quiet instead of facing my fears. I’ve ignored my jealousy, lust, greed, and selfishness until they threatened to consume me. But I won’t become like the lazy man from the Little Prince’s story. So every day I am faced with the tedious work of self-reflection –of tending the garden and pulling up the baobabs.
"Baobabs" -Regina Spektor

1 comment:

? said...

Sweet metaphor.

Ok honestly I wanted to comment just to give kudos for the Regina Spektor reference.