Thursday, October 4, 2012

From Hurricane to Harbor


Some days I look in the mirror and I can’t believe I am here. I can’t believe I got this far. I think of the girl I was in 8th grade and how many nights I literally wanted to die. I think of the comments I received about my weight in high school. I think of the person I was my freshman year of college, depressed and afraid to get out of bed. I think of all the nightmares that have plagued me my entire life.
And then I think about the last twelve months. I have been free from depression. I have begun to view my body positively. I haven’t had a nightmare in months. I am gaining confidence and people are recognizing my potential. I am at a school that I love, majoring in a subject that is close to my heart. I am in a relationship with someone who cares for me and makes me view life differently.
I can’t believe I am here. I still can’t believe I got this far.

No comments: