Sunday, July 31, 2011

Five Weeks at Phantom Ranch -Week 5

For my final week as PRBC 2011 staff, I counseled 8 high school girls. Going into the week I was nervous. I thought that because the age difference between me and my campers wasn’t all that significant the girls might not respect me. I was worried that I wouldn’t have the energy to keep up or the patience to handle the heavy emotional baggage that can come with teenage girls. As usual, God provided for me. I had the most wonderful group of campers who truly had hearts for the Lord and for each other. This last week of camp turned out to be encouraging, exciting, and a growing experience for the entire cabin.
                I wouldn’t say that there were any key lessons I took away from this week, but rather it was a confirmation of my calling. Since I felt God first call me to youth/children’s ministry I’ve been excited, but underneath that excitement was a little bit of anxiety. At this point in my life, I feel so unprepared and unequipped to be a leader in that way. However, over the summer, and especially during this last week of counseling, I’ve felt so reassured that this is where the Lord means for me to be. I realize that I don’t have to go into ministry being fully prepared, but rather that He will teach me what I need along the way. As they say, God doesn’t just call the equipped, He equips the called.
How you can be praying this week: Praise God for my camper who rededicated her life to Christ Wednesday night. Ask Him to continue to work in the lives of the students and that they would in turn seek after Him. Give praise for the wonderful counselors who selflessly gave their time and energy this summer for a great cause. Pray that He would pour out blessings upon them. Finally, pray that my love would continue to abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight (Phil 1:9) over the rest of my summer and the rest of my life.
                I would love to share more of the exciting things that have happened at Phantom Ranch, so don’t be afraid to ask. Thank you so much for staying plugged into my blog this summer as I’ve documented this adventure. Thanks also for the prayers and encouragement. It’s been a beautiful ride, but this ship is heading back to harbor for the next two weeks before setting out on another adventure (sophomore year). Peace and blessings.
“To know Christ and to make Him known.”

No comments: